‘Rare inmate’ Shin Chang-won tries to choose between extremes in prison

Shin Chang-won, 56, the “rarest prisoner ever먹튀검증,” was taken to a hospital for treatment after attempting to commit suicide in his cell on Nov. 21.

According to the Ministry of Justice on Feb. 22, Shin was discovered by prison staff at 8 p.m. the previous day while attempting to commit suicide in his cell in Daejeon Prison. He was taken to a general hospital in Daejeon immediately after the discovery, and his condition is reportedly not life-threatening.

“He was brought in unconscious the day before, but he regained consciousness from noon today, and his physical vital signs do not seem to be bad,” a hospital official said, adding, “He is currently receiving sleep treatment.”

A Ministry of Justice official said, “A patrolling staff member found Mr. Shin early and responded appropriately.”

He reportedly hanged himself, but details of what tool he used and how he did it are still being confirmed.

Shin was arrested and sentenced to life in prison in March 1989 for breaking into a house in Donam-dong, Seongbuk-gu, Seoul, and stabbing the homeowner to death after robbing him of about $30 million in cash.

In January 1997, when he was in his eighth year of imprisonment, he broke out of Busan Prison by tearing off the wire mesh of his cell’s bathroom vent and went on the run for two and a half years.

Immediately after his escape, he was wanted all over the country, and reports of sightings of him continued to circulate, but he was not caught and was said to be ‘on the run’.

In December 1997, he escaped from a confrontation with police at a villa in Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi-do, by climbing a drainage pipe outside the window, and a year and a half later, in July 1999, he was arrested after a TV repairman reported that he was hiding in an apartment in Suncheon, Jeollanam-do.

He was later sentenced to an additional 22 years and six months in prison in North Gyeongsangbuk-do, and in August 2011, he tried another extreme option.

A prison guard found him hanging himself with a rubber glove, and he was taken to a hospital for treatment. There was no harsh behavior, and it was found that he was shocked by the news of his father’s death.

In May 2019, he complained to the Human Rights Commission that he was being held in solitary confinement and his every move was monitored by CCTV, leading to the removal of the CCTV.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *